Monday, October 18, 2010

Blog Post # 8





How writers used to dream and how they should dream collide in these videos. The first one was about incremental changes and the second video was about fundamental changes in how writers and teachers should approach this new era of creativity. Honestly, I didn't quite grip the new concept of technology he was talking about. I understand that audio helps with things and pretty visuals are alluring too. And I understand how a lot of books and journals are on the web as well as in hard print, more so probably on the web. It sounded like he was talking about somehow putting book books on the web too, I mean, I could be wrong, that's just how that one part came across. Using media tools and designs are great ideas for teaching and getting points across in short snippets. And the web is great for research and up to the minute statistics. I'm not quite sure how using those kind of tools would help a novelist though as much as it would help a teacher...








The CHIPPER video made some good points about not procrastinating and pointing out the struggle that a lot of us deal with in this class, like time management and not learning in the traditional way we are used to. Some of the other things seemed a little extreme. Personally I think online classes and online degrees take a lot more disciple to accomplish and self-manage, it baffles me that a character like her would complete it to be able to go back to school school for her Masters. I mean, i got the idea of it all, but they were still pretty extreme situations...and for the record, my dad did drive trucks, roadoff trucks, dumptrucks or however you would call them...garbage trucks, and no, my dad doesn't have a high school education, but while he was at work, he helped a lot of people and encouraged them and made them laugh, everywhere he goes, people love him. So even though most people consider jobs like that "low" jobs, someone has to do them, and some of them don't mind doing them or think they are "low" in society b/c they do have jobs like that. I know that's neither hear nor there b/c the point of the video was to not procrastinate and to be responsible, but as future educators we have to be aware of any and all plausible sensitive issues.



There isn't much to say about this video other than the fact that I concur :) I do feel extremely frustrated at times and I think my time management is a little better, but not great and I'm still confused about what to do and how to prove the progress for my PLN.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pauline,

    You are a great writer. You can get you thoughts across very fluently (this is an aspect I'm trying to improve in my posts). To me, "This is how we dream" is all about our changing society...and specifically, how the web (or you can say technology) has changed what we write/compose. So, it's not about the technology itself but what the technology allows us to create.

    I enjoyed reading your about your dad. He has a great outlook on life. If only if we could all be that positive!

    Hey, what do you think about SMART boards?

    Josh King

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pauline,

    I real admire your honestly in your post. I think you bring about an important thought in why we are in college right now. You said that your father drives a truck for a living. I think you bring about an obvious and important point that some people don't seem to think about. There are so many jobs in this country, and if everyone is highly educated then there will likely be many many under-employed people. So, I totally agree that there are many jobs that are very very important to EVERYONE and we rarely think about it.

    Great post Pauline,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you for the compliments :)

    If you would have asked me a couple months ago I would have said that smart boards are overrated. But since my exposure to smart boards, I really believe that it depends on the teacher and the grade level and the subject matter whether or not it would be an effective tool. Am I little biased in thinking that smart boards would be more beneficial for lower grades where the students are probed to be more interactive vs. high school where they are learning to acclimate to more of a lecture teaching style? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pauline,
    I am suppose to comment on your blog post #9. Please contact me when you have posted it so I can comment on it. Word of encouragement: I know it is hard to keep up in this class and easy to get behind! Try to stay focus the finishing line is near!!
    LaChandra Lett: lettlachandraedm310.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete