Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Blog Post # 10


Hi, I'm a student in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class.
I can understand how it seems like we are getting robbed here in the United States because of the way overall education is handled. I'm kind of a nerd, so I kind of like the lecture classes in my subject area, the biological sciences, but I can admit that I don't ever look forward to lectures from other teachers in different subject areas, I struggle to stay awake also. I think someone said that we're the only country that requires college students to be "well-rounded" everywhere else they just focus on their emphasis and are spared from buying expensive, useless textbooks and from falling asleep in class. Yeh, a college classroom is a pretty expensive napping place.
I agree with you also, I'm not one to drop out of school, b/c unfortunately that is just how the system is still set up in this country, but learning all the new technologies in this education transition will certainly give future teachers a leg up :)








Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home




Hi, I'm a student in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class here at the University of South Alabama.
I agree, that a student's total comprehension and understanding can't be strictly based off of drill and kill bubble tests.
And also how your solution was just to be flexible. I think if more educators were a little bit more flexible and open in their thinking and teaching, a lot of classrooms would change for the good, after all, everyone learns differently. I personally think hangman is a great way to memorize spelling words, one f my elementary teachers played that game with our class, it was fun and I thought it helped.
Great post.




Two questions that can change your life from Daniel Pink on Vimeo.

My response to these questions can be summed up with these lyrics in this song


Legacy ~ Nichole Nordeman


I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...


so what is my sentence?

I would like my sentence to be, "She wasn't afraid to share her faith as she pointed others to the Way in Yeshua HaMashiach." Did I plant more seeds than I did yesterday? Did I remember to water the seeds I planted already? G-d only knows, but I truly desire to be a better disciple today than yesterday :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline!! This is a great post! I agree with your responses to the blogs we had to read. It really stinks that we have to sit through boring lectures about subjects that we are not even passionate about. Also I thought that the "Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home" blog post was very interesting and I agree that we need to be more flexible with how students learn and trust them a little. I love your sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline,

    It is great to inspire your students. You are obviously really smart and knowledgeable, but are you going to be able to separate church from state? Or are you going to teach in a christian school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anthony,

    Hmmmmm? Since I'm a Messianic Jew, I don't think a lot of Christian schools would be comfortable with me teaching there...
    but that's neither here nor there, you know what the Word says, "He is not far from each one of us, for in Him we live and move and having our being." Acts 17:27-28.
    I don't understand how people can separate Him out because everything was created by Him and through Him...
    Wherever G-d takes me, I don't think I would have to compartmentalize my life. Would I like to move to Israel and teach or teach within a Messianic community? Of course I would because that's my comfort zone, but my life isn't about my comfort, it's about His will. So if He does have my teach in a regular public school and I do get fired, well, whatever the enemy intends for harm, G-d turns it for the good of those who love Him and uses it to glorify His name. So I don't really think about it too much. I'm just trying to get out of school and whatever G-d wants me to do after We get the degree, I'm down with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pauline,

    I absolutely agree with your response to Anthony. I do think there are boundaries that we have to be careful not to cross. Anthony said can you separate church from state, but I think it sounds more like can you separate your beliefs from your job. If this is the case, I must say that NO, we should not. My friend encountered this with her social work professor who told her that she needed to separate her personal beliefs with her job, otherwise she would need to rethink her major. My friend simply replied by saying that it is Christ who lives in us, and as a believer, we put Christ on everyday. By the teacher telling her to separate the two, my friend said her teacher wants her to remove Jesus out of her life, which she cannot do. I wholeheartedly believe that our beliefs are the essential part of our being, and we do not have to separate the two. Yes, we have to be open minded and respect others and their beliefs; however, I do think we have the right to speak our beliefs. God has called us to speak his truth, and if we are scorned for doing so, well we are doing it for him and his glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pauline,

    I have to admit that I was coming from a pretty grumpy state of mind when I posted my post to you, but you absolutely responded confidently and tactfully. I discussed this post with Jamie Lynn and we both admire you for your ability to cite your reasons for your beliefs. I think that in itself is a trait worth sharing with your students.

    Jamie Lynn,

    I did not mean "Can you separate your beliefs from your job?" I meant can she teach without imposing her beliefs. That is what separating church from state is... It doesn't require you to reject, deny, or distance any thing/ One.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete