Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blog Post 4

Eagles’ Nest Radio Episode #3: Roamin’ with the Ancient Romans

I was very impressed by the thorough research this third grade class did on ancient Rome. I can only imagine that they used internet sources to gather their information. Most of the time in our society, time is of the essence and using search engines such as Google or Yahoo does save a lot of time vs. going to a city library and finding out information. I do wonder though, if these young kids know how to use a catalog card in case they had to go to the library.

So, now that I know a podcast is just an audio file, I think, the children were not shy at all. I'm not that brave of a person, but I do commend them on their teaching style, broadcasting the information like a news show.


The benefits of podcasting in the classroom

Children of the millennium are a whole new breed of learners. I do agree that technology is a huge part of their lives and takes up a lot of their time. Using only textbooks with a generation that is so used to interactive things could hinder their learning I suppose. I do believe podcasts to be a good idea, but not for every lecture. Well, actually I guess I wouldn't mind doing podcasts for my lectures, but if the attendance starting dropping I would stop making podcasts for a while.

Having podcasts can help parents to better understand how and what their child is being taught. When I was growing up I always told my parents how my day at school was and we talked about what we learned or did that day. The podcast can share that information also, although I would warn against only listening to podcasts to relive what your child did at school that day.

Hearing books over podcast seems fun. The voice actors from that one story I heard in the video did a really great job. My only concern is that by doing those we limit the children's imagination. There were a couple toys with talking voices when I was growing up, but the rest of the pretending came from my imagination. Not everyone finds as much pleasure in reading as some of us do, but I would still like young people to try.



EPN: Education Podcasting Network

This website was very insightful. I was able to go to the subject area that I plan on teaching one day to see some examples of podcasts and videos of discovery learning. It's neat how so many educators can come to one place and see and swap ideas to further help learning in the classroom. I saw one video on the rainforest and the child was the one narrating. She did a good job.

Also this website had links to show you how to put up a podcast and share it, which is a blessing because a lot of us don't know how to do things like this yet. Honestly, I'm still struggling with the idea that all education is going so digital that real people will be obsolete soon.


100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better

They were definitely not kidding when they said "100 ways" to use your iPod. I had no idea you could do all those things with an iPod. I had my iPod for at least 3 months before i figured out how to change the volume correctly. Cliff notes, spark notes, building vocabulary for the SAT and all sorts of things all at the touch of your finger tips. I guess my question is: are iPods wireless or something? Or would you have to download what you want to study just like you download music?

I think my curiosity in actually learning how to use all this technology has finally been brought to my attention. Mostly because I have an iPod and it was a lot of money so I might as well learn all its applications. Almost every young person I know has an iPod/mp3 player of some sorts. I suppose putting something educational on it aside from music is a plus.

7 comments:

  1. From reading your posts on this blog it seems that school worked well for you as you grew up. I too did well in that environment, but many (most?) of the kids I grew up with didn't. Ed tech doesn't have all the answers to the problems with education, but I feel it can help address the needs of many more students than a traditional classroom can.

    I read that you love to read, as do I. What about students that don't( or simply can't)? Now they can listen instead and still gleam the content they need. Don't forget students that like to show what they learn by creating something new, technology is great for that.

    I am not trying to tell you that technology is the only way to teach. I just believe it can really help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with that, technology can help. But just because people can listen to books read on a podcast doesn't give them the excuse not to ever read a real book. I understand that some people can't read, but those are special circumstances. And technology is a great way to be creative. My idea of being creative is getting a white, cotton, twin-size sheet and painting it with acrylics. But computers can be fun too.

    Traditional classrooms are not longer the answer because children expect to be entertained. But I can't help but feel like the entire classroom is going to turn into an educational arcade...which is better than a non-educational arcade with junk food i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Using only textbooks with a generation that is so used to interactive things could hinder their learning I suppose." I don't suppose it. I am certain. I believe we have moved into a new culture in which reading and writing have been replaced by listening and watching. What I think must happen is that we must teach students to create (to be authors, directors, "multimedia writers") using the technologies with which they are most familiar. If we don't we will most certainly lose them. And substituting entertainment uses of technology is certainly NOT what I mean. I mean learning technologies. Admitting that all information is in all places at all times in the cloud and that books are no longer necessary. Some people may like books better, as you obviously do. But books are no longer necessary. In the survey of the students taking EDM310 this summer here is what I found about listening, watching and reading:
    53% read newspapers "once in a while" or never
    35% read 1 book or less, on average, A YEAR
    61% read less than 1 book every 2 months (not counting assigned books)
    14% spend more than 2 hours a day on social networking
    49% spend at least 5 hours a week watching videos
    35% spend at least 3 hours a day listening to music
    49% own a smartphone
    98% own a personal computer

    And these are aspiring teachers!

    Now take a look at these data from a January 2010 (Kaiser Foundation Report Generation M squared) survey of kids 8-18 years old:
    Average amount of time spent with these media EVERY DAY (in hours and minutes)
    TV 4:29
    Music/audio 2:31
    Computer 1:29
    Video games 1:13
    Print :38
    Movies :25
    Total 10:45

    Whether you like it or not, whether I like it or not, the kids you will be teaching will NOT share the your cultural values. If you are to engage them in learning you MUST be prepared to do that using their tools, the tools of their culture. You will NOT be able to return them to the old way of doing things which you cherish.

    You don't have to like it. But if you are serious about being a teacher you should be absolutely clear about what you are getting into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that technology helps in the classrooms. I disagree that books are no longer necessary. I agree that it would be useful to teach them how to work multimedia players and youtube movies and things like that. I disagree that technology is the only way to be creative.

    At this rate, people aren't even going to know how to write in cursive or print for that matter because everything is done on keyboards. Call me a romantic, but getting a handwritten letter seems more sweet than an email on the fly.

    Emails and all these things are very useful, I'm not discounting technology, I use it everyday also. Not to the same extent as most people, but I still use it.

    There is more to being a teacher than just pouring head knowledge into a teenager's brain.

    I love teenagers, and I know I am called to teach teenagers. I am willing to learn all this stuff just so I can have the privilege of maybe having one teenager to trust me and confide in me. Even if one looks at me and knows that there is something different, something else they can think about or chase after; then going through all of this is worth it to me.

    I'm not fighting against learning all this stuff just for the sake of being disagreeable. I am learning all this stuff in order to use it, but just because I don't believe it's the most important thing doesn't mean I'm going to be a horrible teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just because I don't believe it's the most important thing doesn't mean I'm going to be a horrible teacher." I am glad you are setting higher than horrible expectations for yourself! haha

    I am glad you seem to grasp the importance of creativity and hands-on activity. Technology empowers teachers with the ability to increase student motivation, confidence, and exploration. By using all the different editing and publishing tools-- you can give students an audience for their acrylic paintings you speak of which gives them a reason to be proud of their work. Most importantly-- online tools encourage reflection and refinement.

    With that said-- I agree with you that books are far from obsolete. I also agree that technology is not the most important aspect of student:teacher interaction, attitude is. Beyond that-- technology is the most useful means of generating ideas, getting criticism, and recording processes and students will be missing out if their teachers won't embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly. Attitude is the most important thing. I don't want to be one of those teachers who hide behind technology and not have a good relationship with the students. Of course technology is great and useful, but I certainly don't wait it to fill the gap between teacher and student, we have souls to do that.

    Embrace is too strong of a word for me, at this moment in time, but I am willing to learn for their sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was also impressed with the Roamin' with the Ancient Romans podcast. It was very informative and fun to listen. The benefits of podcasting in the classroom are incredible and I am looking forward to using them in the classroom. I was very surprised as well by the 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study better. I hope that you are able to incorporate podcasts and iPods in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete