Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Video Posts 2

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video does capture the world of students today. I can agree with most of the signs that I read throughout the video. I have bought $100 textbooks and have never used them because the teacher makes up tests straight from their slides, which cut a lot of the textbook out. One sign read that she only got seven hours of sleep each night, honestly that would be a blessing if I got seven hours of sleep a night.

Spending time online throughout the day seems to be the normal protocol. I'm on facebook all the time to wind down because sometimes things just seem overwhelming between school, ministry, wars, and life in general.


It's Not About the Technology

In this article she talks about having an evolving mindset when it comes to the use of technology. Feeling as pressured as I was, especially in this class, her perspective helped to put me a little at ease. Yes, technology is here and yes, innovation is certainly a great thing, but having the training to use these great things are the key. I don't even know what a $5000 white chalkboard is, I'm just thrilled so I can turn the subheadings in my blog to a link.

She does agree with mingling in all the digital-age stuff, but she seems like a person who would be patient in teaching others how to make the most of this new technology for the sake of the classroom and students. I do want to learn all these new things so I can be a good teacher also, but it's hard for me to learn when i feel pressured and like I'm being judged because I don't catch on.

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I honestly couldn't find the article. I searched the site and read some of the comments about the article though. And I saw the virtual room, a second location I think they called it. I couldn't quite tell what it was for. I'm sorry I couldn't find the article, but at least I can answer the question. No, it is not alright if a teacher is technologically illiterate. At the moment being in such a state is costing me a grade, I'm just hoping that by the time I'm done in this course I won't mess up my classroom.

Garys Social Media Count

I believe it wise to be familiar with the times. As a teacher, knowing what's in, knowing how your students prefer to communicate, whether it'd be facebook or text messaging, is all a plus. Sometimes looking at all those numbers increasing, I'm almost not surprised at the thought that a hologram teacher would be preferred over a physical one in the classroom.

For now, being able to interweave all this technological innovation together in a classroom seems to be my personal task at hand.

4 comments:

  1. You should be able to link to the "Is it OK to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher" by going to the instruction manual Dr. Strange posted and just clicking on the link. Your responses are well thought out. I do not agree with all of them, but you did a great job. Which one was your favorite? I really liked the format of the Michael Wesch video, but the "It's not About the Technology" was my favorite. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alana. You have quite a few well thought out responses to these blog posts. My favorite one was the Social Media Count. It was very interesting to see how technologically active we can become when it pertains to something that we enjoy like Facebook. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your view on the implied and direct comments made by Dr. wesch and his students on the way instruction is organized and delivered in today's "modern" universities? Noone is judgiung you for not catching on. My goodness, we just started this course. I am continually saying "I don't know. Let's find out." If fact, that is one of the mottos of this course. And Let's is plural. You have just started an adventure in learning about how technologies are infusing education. But when the class finishes you will not be finished in this learning journey. We are just getting you started!

    The link to Is It OK to Be Technologically Illiterate? can be found on p. 9m of the Instruction Manual. My guess is that you saw the two warning and did not scroll down where the actual post begins. Just read everything starting with the Title and you will do the assignment. Because this argument is so critical to this course, please go back and read it and create another post in which you discuss it. Thanks! And what does Gary's Counter mean for you as an aspiring teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pauline! I agree with a lot of what you said. I also want to learn all the new technologies to use in my classroom, but do not enjoy feeling like people are judging me if it takes me a little longer to understand something. Hang in there and I'm sure you will do just fine! I also agree it is not alright to be technologically illiterate. It amazes me when people fight technology because there is no going back now. Anyone who does not learn how to use these tools will be missing out on so much and if they are a teacher, so will their students. We are definitely moving toward a future of hologram teachers, but the lack of funding in our schools and the backwards mindset of so many in education is going to make that future further off than it has to be. Hopefully, we will both come out of this class technologically literate enough to implement some of the wonderful tools available in our classrooms!

    ReplyDelete