Wednesday, June 2, 2010

First Video Blogs

Did You Know?
There were a lot of things in that short video that I didn't know off the top of my head, but at the same time nothing displayed in that video shocked me. In actuality, the questions posed in this video compels me to acknowledge the fact that even if I wanted to, I cannot afford to be ignorant about the world around me any longer.
After studying other specific things, it's only natural that all those current facts come into play. They definitely do not make me happy. The mere thought that one day some machine can replace the entirety of the human mind, not only intelligence, but emotions and spiritual things as well is enough to give me goosebumps and not in a very good way.
I do think technology is great, but I'm not the sort of person who rejoices about being connected to a million people I don't know. And I certainly am not looking forward to being replaced with a robot who can apparently teach and love teenagers better than a real person.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
Mr. Winkle Wakes was a cute story. In the beginning of the story, I even felt a little angst for the unsuspecting Mr. Winkle. It is definitely an old-fashioned story with a modern twist. It's incredible to think about how much technology had changed the world in such a short period of time. The internet, in particular, has literally infiltrated almost every aspect of life. And computers and technological machines in general are enough to give anyone a fancy light-show and make their heads spin with what they could do. Yes, I can imagine a very disturbing feeling creeping in on poor Mr. Winkle who awoke to such a world as this.
At the end of the story, it was comforting to see that even with all the flashy computers and media players, Mr. Winkle felt peace at the school. The term, "undisturbed," when describing the school was endearing. My only question is: Did Mr. Winkle want to go back to sleep or stay awake?

Harness Your Student's Digital Smarts
Mrs. Vikki is truly an astonishing teacher. It is very overwhelming for me, personally, to be suave with all sorts of new technology venues. But seeing how she ran her classroom made it seem very inviting to actually want to learn and discover what this extreme digital age can offer.
It's amazing how all these young people learn how to maneuver through all the digital information at a rapid pace. The teacher said they were learning and doing all that in just three days. It took me three months to learn how to work my ipod properly.
I do agree with her statement about how different students need different things to prosper in their educational experience. It is almost intimidating to think about all the things we need to at least heard of so we, as teachers, can give a coherent answer to a question a student might ask one day about technology.

The Importance of Creativity
Out of everything i watched this night, his speech was by far my favorite. It helped that he had am English accent and a good sense of humor, but everything he said was very true. Creativity has been but on the back burner since the industrial age. If you think about, people from long ago, who we consider geniuses, had to have been creative. I'm positive the people who thought up laws of physics and created microscopes and invented airplanes didn't put a cap on imagination. A lot of things we take for granted now-a-days. Sure, there are Nobel Prize winners in all subject areas, but would the current winners even know where to look if the people from long ago didn't suspect there could be something more?
Imagination has always been the element that made human beings different. And over time, that very special trait that only we possess as humans has been squashed. I'm relieved to hear that imaginative prodigies could be on the rise again.

10 comments:

  1. The importance of creativity was my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, it was a lot of laughs. Good humor is always a great way to get a good point across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline,

    I think you definitely made a great argument in your post. I am the type of person who also worries how technology is going to overtake the world. We are helplessly stuck in a huge technological invasion that cannot be stopped. No matter how against technology we may be, the world will continue to evolve and change. I have come to a place where I love technology, but I refuse to let it consume my life. I am majoring in English Education, and I love reading and writing. These things will always be a necessity in my life, but I can enhance English with creative tools. I think we have to simply find a balance in our lives, but we must choose to use technology, otherwise we will fail in life. Check out my blog where I have discussed this issue numerous times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jamie. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one not wanting to get whisked away in a technological whirlpool. I do agree that being innovative with some technology in any subject area is useful for both the teacher and the student, I just don't want a classroom full of lovely teenagers where I can't see their faces or they can't see me smile a nod of approval toward them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding "Mr. Winkle"...I wonder if you may have missed some irony in describing the school as "undisturbed" by the outside world. Did you think that was a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering how much gunk young people are exposed to now-a-days, whether on TV or radio, I do believe it's a good things that Mr. Winkle thought that the school was "undisturbed" being that children spend a lot of hours there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pauline,

    I know exactly how you feel. I love being face to face with my teachers and fellow classmates. I am currently taking an online class, and I hate it. I just want to see my teacher and hear her voice. We are doing threaded discussions and a biography, but I still don't feel like I know my class. It is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dislike this class very much. I stink at computers and I still can't find where to make that questionnaire up and quite frankly some of the instructions seem very vague to me. I almost cry every time i get on this blog thing. I know we have to learn all this digital age stuff, but I really do like regular classrooms with regular teachers and regular textbooks. All this frustrates me also. But we shall see what unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked your responses to the videos. Being a Music Education major, I am used to being hands on with my learning as well as my teaching. The whole thought that technology is quickly going to take over the school system, as well as this class, scares me. I also have a harder time keeping up in this class because everything that I previously knew about computers is of little to no use in this class because of it's advance skill level. Great posts and comments!!

    ReplyDelete