Monday, July 12, 2010

Blog Post 6

Dr. Richard E. Miller



As I watched this presentation I couldn't help but think: Why do people insist on thinking that technology is the only way to be creative? How many times have we seen movies based off books and had the unanimous vote that the book was better? Of course that only pertains to certain genres I guess. I know I'd rather watch a documentary than read a biography. But all that is factual stuff which can sometimes be boring and visual effects can definitely help. At the same time, I still don't believe computers or their graphics caught up to the human imagination just yet. Whether something is boring or not is totally subjective and I can vote that I'd rather watch something boring than read the same boring something. Heroic tales of epic adventures never cease to amaze me and there has been maybe one movie that almost played out a book the way I thought it actually looked inside my mind while I was reading it.

I'm a science major, and I understand that the publishing process is long and sort of annoying. I don't know if other subject materials have to be peered reviewed and tested over and over again before getting published for the public to read, but isn't it safer that way? Some people find things off the internet and run off a cliff with it. Sometimes untrained people in particular fields of information can stir up a whole mess of cascading chaos. There is a reason why there are thousands upon thousands of cults out there nowadays. I don't mean that in a judgemental way. All those ideas that don't supposedly belong to anyone that he spoke so much about, initially belong to someone. It's necessary to understand and know the origins of things.

On another page, it's great to get ideas out there quickly and to share them. But whenever the idea is getting promoted, credit is given where credit is due. As much as he said these ideas belong to no one and how they are everyone's, I bet you anything when he goes to speak at conferences about this free idea, it's his name on the paycheck.

If a student can create something in their imagination and display the same effects on a computer using digital technology, more power to them; I just don't want them to think they are limited by whatever programs they have on their computer is all.


Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student


In some subject areas you could get away with doing that. I'm not saying not to have a wealth of information neatly organized, you can do that with any subject. But as far as strictly learning that way? He is basically paying hundreds of dollars to take a class where someone teaches him how to organize free information of the internet? Having social networks is nice. There are a few online science journals I can keep up with. But I don't see myself telling high schoolers to keep up with online science journals and blogs and expect them to understand everything they are reading.

Yes, it is important to be able to distinguish between good resources and bad resources when your researching off the internet; and yes, it's important to see other people's view points when it comes to humanitarian issues, but I can't promote paying someone to teach me how to Google things. Specifically how to do and use things, like in this class, I'm learning how to make movies and use different tools to make recordings and things like that, but I can later extend those tools for whatever topic I like. But learning how to use tools is not the same thing as learning actual subject matter about science, math, history or any other subject.

And to be honest, when researching certain topics, sometimes it's a blessing to have it all in one books instead of searching for hours and hours on end to find that one particular nugget of truth that you wanted to share with someone. Finding something within a couple hundred pages is easier than sifting through hundreds of thousands web pages.


Toward a New Future of Whatever: Michael Wesch


People nowadays are linked in all over the places using different tools, but the truth is, if your not linked into your purpose, you still have this void of loneliness that you can never fill, no matter how many youtube videos you make or how many complete strangers follow you on twitter. And in agreement with putting forth a new definition of WHATEVER:

The Fellowship Committed to Doing WHATEVER It Takes

I am part of the fellowship committed to doing "Whatever It Takes."
I have the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit).
The die has been cast.
I've stepped over the line.
I am out of the comfort zone.
The decision has been made.
I am a disciple of His.
I won't look back, let up, slow down, or back away.
My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure.
I am finished and done with low living,
sight walking, small planning, smooth knees,
colorless dreams, tame visions, mundane talking,
chincy giving, and dwarfed goals.
I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position or popularity.
I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized,
praise, regarded or rewarded.
I now live by presence,
lean by faith,
love by patience,
lift by prayer
and labor by power.
My face is set,
my gait is fast,
my goal is heaven,
my road is narrow,
my way is rough,
my companions are few,
my G-d is reliable,
my mission clear.
I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away,
turned back, diluted, or delayed.
I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,
hesitate in the presence of adversity,
negotiate at the table of the enemy,
ponder at the pool of popularity,
or meander in the maze of mediocrity.
I won't give up,
shut up,
let up,
or burn up
-till
I've preached up,
prayed up,
paid up,
stored up,
and stayed up
for the cause of Christ.
I am a disciple of Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus the Messiah)
I must go till He comes,
give till I drop,
preach till all know
and work till He stops.
And when He comes to get His own,
He'll have no problem recognizing me
because I have dedicated my life to being part of the
fellowship committed to doing...
WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!

~author unknown~

2 comments:

  1. Pauline,

    It is great that you have so avidly connected to your purpose. I agree that having great self-awareness about what motivates you is essential. However, I think it is crucial to channel that motivation into WHATEVER it is that you have committed to. Use your purpose as a motivation to perform your best in everything that you do, including EDM. The clock is ticking and I want you to catch up. One week to go-- let's see what you can do!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, homie ^_^

    ReplyDelete