Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blog Post # 4

Don’t teach your kids this stuff. Please?

Hello,
I'm in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I've read your poem before over the summer session. Even after taking this EDM 310 class and realizing that there is a lot I still need to learn just so I can recognize what my future students are doing, it doesn't change the fact that I still consider this particular poem of yours ostracizing.

I was told that sarcasm works. Most mature adults find this sort of sarcasm beyond foolish and just plain mean. Deliberately calling people out, especially when it comes to their children and their child's future, seems like it would tick people off more so than get them to see your reasoning on why teaching all this new digital technology is vital.

Yes, there are safety measures people can take and teach their children about working the web and going to websites and things like that. But if a parent's genuine concern for their child trumps "the need" to learn all the ins and outs of the digital world, who are you to say that they are wrong? And who are you to ridicule their methods? And who are you to say what is more important?

You don't know who I am. And you may or may not know what Adonai says about safe-keeping and stewarding over children. But I will let you know that my fear of Him trumps whatever you may write.

I'm not that old, but most of the time from what I've seen, being pushy and sarcastic has the opposite of effect. But then again, a lot of things have changed in a very short time, a lot of things and tones people use are totally accepted today as normal vs. 5 or 10 years ago when the same inflections would have been considered rude.





The iSchool initiative video was certainly a convincing idea. If there was a way to totally prevent cheating, I would consider using the iTouch for some things. But on the other hand, I thought my generation had it easy with calculators and word processors. We still had to memorize formulas and other things and the older generation thought we were getting away with murder. I can only imagine what those same people would think about all these applications young people can now use instead of their own brain. This generation is our future, they are going to be running the country one day and none of them will know how to do a lot of basic skills that previous generations know how to do. Everyone is screaming for innovation, but how can innovation come with you have all sorts of machines doing all the thinking for you?





This video is one of my favorite in this class. It is written that, "the power of life and death is in the tongue." And this young girl is speaking life over her future and the future of her generation. It sad that so-called experts are so pessimistic. Can we have some experts in optimism? I read some of the comments other webusers have posted on the video before and lot of them ridiculed it. Which makes me sad because that means they already gave up the fight and will settle for whatever the government or so-called experts say about them and their future lives.

And a lot of others took a stand with this train of thought. For with man this is impossible, but with Adonai (G-d) all things are possible, including changing those dreary statistics about this "lost generation."





This blew me away. I have no idea how this was done. But it sounds and looks amazing. I can only imagine what this would sound like in a real opera hall with all the acoustics going on. It would be breath-taking. But this is no little feat either. The voices and the presentation itself with how they clipped together all the different videos was really nice. Despite what some people may think, I give credit where credit is due ^_^ and I think they did an excellent job.

3 comments:

  1. In your iSchool initiative post, I really enjoy how you state that people will not know how to use basic skills (formulas, etc.). I agree and think that technology is great, but an iSchool might not be the best idea. Cheating is another problem that could result from so much technology, but I think it has always been a problem. That is one good thing to consider. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline, As usual a very tohough provoking post.

    I disagree with you on your assessment of the effects of Dr. McLeod's post. Maybe some would feel ostracized but I think they would be taking it a little too personal. I feel that his intent is to highlight the obvious absurdity of not teaching children about the most current tools for communication, entertainment, and of curse education. This would be like parents not teaching their children about paper and pencil when those technological developments came about. It just does not make any sense.

    You often reference your strong belief in God and the words of the bible. I to am a believer and I must admit that I find your negative attitude in your writings towards some of the selections a little surprising. It is also written that one who is wise seeks many counselors. I kind of see Dr. McLeod's post as a type of council for those who may not otherwise be tuned in to what is happening with technology. I think it should be taken for what it is, an opinion.

    Your blog looks great. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry if my writings sounded negative. The word does say if it doesn't edify and build up then don't say it. So your right, I could have been more tactful in my response to him b/c two wrongs don't make a right.
    After all, G-d is our Defense, so me trying to wield a sword on my own didn't do much good, did it? lol
    Praise Abba for grace, right? I will try not to be so harsh in the future blogs.
    I don't disdain technology, I use it everyday. But I do disdain when people come off like technology is the answer to everything. It's a matter of perception. Who is your audience and how will they respond? Even if you have other values in your life, when you write something like that, they are not shown, so if a stranger reads it, that's their perception of you, regardless of what's true in your heart.
    First impressions are lasting,after all. Last time i read that sarcastic poem I was shocked that people actually agreed with him. To me, it's not a matter of agreeing or not, just how it was spoken, it sounded kind of mean to me.
    But now that's neither here nor there. Forgive me for being just as guilty using not so kind words and I will try to be more tactful in further bloggings.
    But know this, being more tactful doesn't mean I'm backing down on my beliefs or how i feel about things. It is written that the kindgom of G-d suffers violence and the violent take it back by force. I'm a believer, but I'm still a warrior for my G-d :)

    ReplyDelete