Friday, September 3, 2010

Blog Post 2



There were a lot of things in this video that I didn't remember since the last time I watched it. I can easily agree that the times we are living in are exponential times. Did you know that G-d revealed to Daniel in a vision that in “the time of the end,” travel and knowledge will increase:

"But you, Daniel, keep this prophecy a secret; seal up the book until the time of the end. Many will rush here and there as knowledge increases." Daniel 12:4 (CJB)(Complete Jewish Bible)

According to the book of Daniel, two things will increase in “the time of the end” – travel and knowledge. Thanks to technological advances, people are more opt to hop on a airplane than a horse or a bike and the internet alone has created a world wide archive of human knowledge.

Did you know that other facts portrayed in this video, like the population explosions in China and India also fulfill prophetic Scriptures?





100 years ago Mr. Winkle would have been blessed to be in a school building with light bulbs. And now he has awaken in a world where light bulbs are old news and if it's not touch-screen then it's out of date. A lot of technological innovations have been developed over the last century that has literally shifted the entire world. All places in first world countries have been innovated from daycares and corporate businesses to medical research and space exploration.

In most cases, the school buildings still look the same, but the students sitting in the desks have changed. These students have access to all sorts of tools like the internet, smart phones, mp3 players in and outside of their classrooms. 100 years ago a family would have been blessed if there were a couple books on a shelf vs. today where having a multitude of books and video games and the such in a house are the norm.




I agree with everything this man said. In the beginning, G-d created the heavens and the earth. And He created all of us, we are made in His image. He is a very creative G-d, so why wouldn't we be creative also? Creativity and imagination are practically innate in children until it's whittled away by grown-ups who have forgotten what it was like to look at the world through innocent minds.

I also believe that the whole academic world is slightly biased in what they train young minds for.

This is the second time I have watched this video. The first time I watched it, the story at the end stuck out to me the most, about the dancing little girl who is now world renowned. But this time around I heard him say that children aren't afraid to fail. They are programmed over time that mistakes are the worse thing that can happen. From my experience, it seemed that being a perfectionist is what everyone wanted or expected of you. But being a cookie cutter in society doesn't leave much room for creative innovation.


Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Teaching students how to teach themselves seems more exciting than spoon-feeding them knowledge. Encouraging young people to discover and learn some things on their own makes way for innovation. I believe that as young people are learning and sorting through things, if they come across something they don't really like, if no one is there to say, "too bad, that's just the way it is," then they are free to create something else. The thoughts of impossibilities aren't there until they are planted. Unfortunately those seeds of doubt are planted at very young ages and people give up before they even try. Learning technology in classrooms is just one way to be creative though.

4 comments:

  1. Well argued. It is obvious that you are reading and listening much better this time around. Keep it up! Learning is forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assure you that I listened the first time around, just a lot of it frustrated me, is all. But now that Abba gave me a way to reflect on each video and article in a totally non-freakout way, I am looking forward to rewatching them and seeing what G-d will have me write :) Yes, I dare say that I am excited this time around and I am determined to really learn more tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you certainly put a great deal of thought into this post! I agree with you on video #1: we are now more apt to get aboard whatever will get us to our destinations that fastest, and we have indeed created an enormous pool of worldwide data. On video #2, I agree that students today have far more technological advantages than those 100 years ago. But wouldn't you agree that one of the points of this video was to show that while technology has changed, the manner that students are taught has not? As for video #3, I agree with you wholeheartedly -- Ken Robinson is spot-on. Finally, on video #4, I not only agree with you, but I really like the way you phrased it: "The thoughts of impossibilities aren't there until they are planted" -- you know, I just might have to borrow that phrase (if you don't mind).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi William. Yes, I do agree with you about the second video. The students may have changed, but the methods for teaching still look the same. But I also believe therein lies the problem. With everything else under heaven we change external features to match up with what we are trying to internalize, but schools, they still look the same externally, despite how the internal parts (the technologically advanced students) are now there. As much as I love my books, I have been forth warned that I'm fighting a losing battle, which makes me sad. So Mr. Winkle knows what books are, they have been around for a very long time. And kids today have a vague idea about what books could be really used for, they are so quick to just google everything. Let's say we are in a deep sleep for 100 years. By the time we wake up, books would be relics and people would think we are nuts for trying to fine one. Not that I believe we will be on this earth for another 100 years, but hypothetically speaking, I doubt the schools a century from now would even resemble what we call a school building today.

    Oh yeh, and feel free to use that phrase for sure :) After all, the Word says that the power of life and death are in the tongue. G-d wasn't be poetic, He meant what He said. So when adults speak doubt over young people, well, then those are the seeds which are planted and therefore the seeds which are sown.

    ReplyDelete